Skip to main content
Li Ka Shing Library

Legal Research & Writing (LAW 106): How do I note up Canadian cases?

Guide to legal research for law students.

Using CanlII

It is possible to note up cases on CanLII.  Once you have located a case, click on the Noteup link at the top of a case to see a list of cases citing that case. It is also possible to search within the list of cases citing.  The downside is that the case history is only available for cases decided after 2006 and treatment codes are not provided.

Source: Best Guide to Canadian Legal Research.


Using KeyCite on Westlaw

Look up the Canadian case in Westlaw.

E.g. Find R v Parks [1992] 2 S.C.R. 871


Launch Westlaw International

In the Westlaw (SMU) menu tab, tick Canada All Case Law

Enter the case name or citation in the search box at the top of the page and click Search.

When you have located the case, you may have to click on the English link to get the English translation of the case. Then click on the KeyCite icon or click on the Related Info tab.


This will give you the history of the case in the reading pane on the right.


The Citing References section will give you the treatment of the case ‘R v Parks’ in subsequent cases.


For a description of the different Key Cite icons, click on KeyCite Canada

The use of electronic resources must comply with the Appropriate Use of Electronic Resources Policy and Singapore Management University Acceptable Use Policy